A small village, with many attractive thatched cottages. On the west side runs the River Otter; to the east of the village lie the Harpford Woods, mainly majestic beeches, and ideal for walks and picnics.
On the higher reaches of the River Sid, adjoining Sidmouth. The Church of St Peter is nearby. The Packhorse Bridge, built in A.D. 1100, was no wider than the two parapet walls and these have been retained in the widened bridge.
On the east side of Salcombe Hill. It is accessible by road or by footpath over the hill. The village is unspoilt and attractive and a footpath leads through farmland to the pebble beach overlooked by the red sandstone cliffs.
Ottery St Mary
Six miles from Sidmouth. Birthplace of S. T. Coleridge. The fine church resembles Exeter Cathedral
and is a notable example of ecclesiastical architecture.
Tipton St John
Lying between Harpford and Ottery.
Southleigh, near Colyton
This little hamlet nestles in countryside typical of ‘glorious Devon’.