Churches

Tower of Sidmouth parish church (15th century)

St Giles and St Nicholas are commemorated at the parish church. It was reconstructed in 1860 by William White, who was also the architect. Only the 15th-century tower has survived from the mediaeval building. The renovation contained remnants of Norman and subsequent masonry. The Duke of Kent Memorial Window, which Queen Victoria presented in 1867, and the reredos by Samuel Sanders Teulon are notable features. The historian Peter Orlando Hutchinson utilised parts of the original fabric, notably as the windows, in the construction of a folly adjacent to his home. He was also in charge of preserving the vestry’s stained glass. The folly is Hutchinson’s Old Chancel on Coburg Terrace, which he began in 1859 as a protest against the removal of the historic church fabric during reconstruction.

Taylor, the architect, designed the church of All Saints, which is similarly Anglican and has lancet windows and “oddly awkward” pinnacles. There were also Unitarian, Wesleyan (later Methodist), and Congregational chapels; the Unitarian chapel was established by Presbyterians in the 17th century, while the Wesleyan and Congregational chapels were established in 1837 and 1846, respectively.

The Catholic Church returned to Sidmouth after the Reformation in 1880, with the entrance of exiled French Jesuits, who were later joined by the Sisters of the Assumption in 1881. In 1884, the convent built a purpose-made chapel, which was dedicated to public mass. The Catholic population had expanded to the point where a parish church was required by the 1920s. The land for the Church of the Most Precious Blood was purchased in Radway in 1930, and the first Mass was said on November 10, 1935.

Churches in Sidmouth

  • PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND ST GILES, Sidmouth.
  • ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH, All Saints’ Road, Sidmouth.
  • CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI, Woolbrook, Sidmouth.
  • THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES, Sidbury.
  • ST PETER’S CHURCH, Sidford, Sidmouth.
  • PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER, Salcombe Regis.
  • THE CHURCH OF THE MOST PRECIOUS BLOOD, Sidmouth.
  • METHODIST CHURCH, High Street, Sidmouth.
  • UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, Chapel Street, Sidmouth.
  • UNITED REFORM CHURCH, Primley.
  • EMMANUEL FREE EVANGELICAL CHURCH – Manstone Lane, Sidmouth.
  • OLD MEETING UNITARIAN CHURCH, Corner of High Street and All Saints’ Road.
  • THE RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS (Quakers). Meetings for worship are held at TWYFORD HOUSE (Day Centre), Coburg Road.
  • CHRISTIAN SCIENCE SOCIETY, Selleys Yard, Fore Street, Sidmouth.